Tuesday 1 May 2018

SOPRG seminar: Join us for a research presentation on Communicating and Learning with Digital Media on Tuesday 8th May, 12-1pm

The Social and Organisational Psychology Research Group (SOPRG) is proud to host a talk by Dr Stephanie Pieschl, UON’s School of Education.

WHEN: Tuesday 8th May, 12-1pm.

WHERE: Keats reading room, Aviation building AVLG17, Callaghan Campus. VC link to Ourimbah campus Science offices' seminar room.

TITLE: Communicating and Learning with Digital Media



ABSTRACT: In this talk, I will give a short overview of my research about how humans deal with the challenges of digitalization and the state of their digital literacy. One strand of my research focuses on self-regulated learning with computer-based learning environments. Among others, I explored learners’ metacognitive adaptation to task demands and their help-seeking as well as the impact of their epistemic beliefs and prior knowledge on their learning processes and outcomes. In another strand of research, I focus on using and communicating with Social Media. For example, I investigated the prevalence, definitional characteristics, risk and protective factors, and consequences of cyberbullying. Based on that research, I created and evaluated the first German cyberbullying prevention program. Additionally, I have been interested in privacy regulation on Social Media and subjective theories about and impact of violent and prosocial media consumption. My research ranges from fundamental experimental research on memory, cognition, and metacognition, to more applied studies in formal and informal learning and communication contexts.





BIO: In 2017 I relocated to Newcastle and I have been a Senior Lecturer of Educational Psychology at the School of Education ever since. I am a trained psychologist (my Diploma, 2002, Doctor of Philosophy, 2008, and Habilitation, 2015, are all in Psychology) and specialize in educational psychology. I started my academic career at the University of Muenster, Germany, but also served as an interim Professor at the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, and as a visiting researcher at the Simon Fraser University, Canada. I have published in some of the top journals in my field and have been involved in multi-million euro interdisciplinary research projects. For more information, please have a look at my profile page: https://www.newcastle.edu.au/profile/stephanie-pieschl